Getting an unruly software project back on track
Software projects (e.g. web development projects) go wrong for all kinds of reasons. For example:
- Perhaps a key developer has quit, leaving you with undocumented, incomplete source code.
- Perhaps the data model was put together in a hurry and was never quite right. Bad assumptions are 'baked in' to the model.
- Perhaps your business has moved on, and the model which was once correct is no longer suitable.
I have extensive experience dealing with situations like these. To help get things back on track, I can:
- Reverse engineer a model of what's been created so far.
- Help you refine your target model, and develop this into a functional specification for the system you really need.
- Come up with refactoring roadmap - to get the system design better in line with where it needs to be, in an achievable, iterative way.
- Refactor and improve existing Java or Rails code